Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nigeria at Fifty

CredoPoets; Wakdok, Samuel Stephen


Mama is fifty

The world is sending congratulatory messages

My elder siblings are dinning and wining

They are celebrating mama’s age,

They bought lipstick to adorn her lips

New clothes to wear on her

My sisters even sewed theirs

My uncles are busy popping champagne.



Mama is fifty

Everyone is happy for her

Even the sun seems to be smiling from afar

As the rains walk southwards to give us room



I look around and see everyone dancing and jubilating

Thanking God for her life.

When I stare into mama’s loving eyes what I see are misty clouds.

I know why mama is sad on her birthday.



Mama has attained the golden age but with wooden legs.



And my family members who took away the gold in her

Are the very ones dancing more than ever.

Mama is fifty

At fifty our mother is wooden not golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment