Saturday, March 6, 2010

FOREVER AND A DAY

FOREVER AND A DAY

(1)



CredoFiction- Wakdok, Samuel Stephen.

She is sexy, voluptuous, and dangerously beautiful. Exactly as I have always wished my lady to be. She brings all the passion and fantasy of my teenage years to life. I have always wanted to meet and fall in love with the most beautiful woman who will make heads turn on the street and even in the church. I have loved to have a woman that will make any man jealous. And also to have a lady who is hospitable and friendly to all.



I had a very busy schedule for the day; the appointment with the consultants was finally scheduled to hold today after about three postponements. As the lead partner in my architectural firm, this was the kind of contract I have always dreamed of. Once we successfully execute this contract and the sum is paid, I am sure of making triple digits which will launch me and the firm to unimaginable heights. The beauty of the design alone will earn us more business and I am very sure that this is just the beginning of our ----

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Tyres screeching

I was so buried in my thoughts that I didn’t see the other car coming from left side of the road; before I could turn to see the car I had quickly maneuvered my car to avoid hitting the other car. I couldn’t imagining getting involved in any accident today of all days when I am about sealing this life changing deal and clinching the contract. As I swerved my steering to avoid hitting the other car, there was no way I would know that I had left the road and had hit my car against a broken down vehicle. Before I could rescue myself out of my car the other driver who caused all these quickly drove away.

I assessed my car to see the extent of the damage, luckily no injury to me or any other person, but this would surely delay me as my radiator was already empty, it gave way when I hit the stationary vehicle. I have just an option – take a cab to the meeting because I cannot afford to miss it at any cost.

“Oh no I am sorry, it is a pity you got involved in this but can we be grateful to God for your life?” Came one of the sweetest voice I have ever heard. As I turned to look at the owner of the voice I saw a face more beautiful. She was dressed in a casual but decent top and jean. Yet from her clothe I could see her feminity peeping out. I was still looking for my voice to respond to her concern when she moved closer and asked me if I was okay.

“I am Suzanna. How do we get you and your car out of this situation?”

My name is Felix was all I could stutter as her breathe enveloped the atmosphere.

I looked at my wrist watch and saw that I only had 15 minutes to the meeting. How long with it take my mechanic to get to the scene? Unless I decide to leave the car on the road since going late for that meeting was not thinkable.

She seemed to have read my thoughts and asked me what I was going to do.

“Suzanna, I have this urgent and very important meeting to attend and I have less than 15 minutes …

She cut me short before I could finish and asked for the venue of the meeting. Apparently she lives not far away from the scene of the accident. She put a call through to her driver and when he came she offered to drive me to the venue of my meeting. Her driver would wait until my mechanic comes to take my car to his workshop.

We talked less as we drove to the venue, she guessed rightly that I needed to calm down and regain my composure and I was grateful to her for both the ride and the silence. I travelled back to my thoughts and was oscillating between the beauty beside me who came to my rescue and the project I was looking for to clinch. We got to the venue on schedule and as I was alighting from her car, I bent down to pick my laptop; she reached out and touched one of my shoulders asking me when I would be through with the meeting.

All I could tell her “it is a business meeting and I can’t determine how long it would take. But immediately we are through I will take a taxi to my mechanic’s since I hope he would have been through with my car by that time.”

I was so happy that I made it to the meeting on time and I lacked words to express my appreciation. I quickly put my hand into my pocket and fished out my card and passed it to her. I thanked her for saving my day rushed away before I realized I didn’t collect her card. I ran back to her car and asked for her card which she didn’t have in the car but promised to text me her number since I was in a hurry.

I clinched the project deal and I was elated. That was when I realized that her text had not come in and all the euphoria of hundreds of millions in naira fizzled because I want to see Suzanna again. She made it possible for me to be punctual at the meeting and the money gave way for the quest of seeing her eyes again and listen to that sweet voice of hers.

So much has happened in one day and it seems it will take me a life time to forget the money I will make and the lady who came to my aid.



Powered by CredoWorld Media



FOREVER AND A DAY

(2)

CredoFiction- Wakdok, Samuel Stephen.

Luckily when I got to the mechanic’s garage he had fixed the car. I was hoping if the Suzanna’s driver dropped his GSM number with my mechanic but he answered in the negative. I paid for the job and zoomed off. Already my office colleagues were calling to congratulate me on this quantum leap and we were billed to celebrate this big feet at the Zest; one of the newest joints in town. I drove home to have a quick shower and change into something casual. Much as I was overjoyed from the success of our contract and was so enthusiastic to share the pleasurable moment with my partners and colleagues, I notice that I was thinking more of Suzanna than the jack pot we just hit. Life! Is this how it is that we crave for something and when we get it we crave for something more? In the afternoon of this day until the sudden car crash and my meeting with Suzanna; all I longed for was to clinch the deal which we just did, but now there is this feeling of wanting something intangible. Every sms that hits my cell phone gives me hope of her number coming in only to be dashed when I see a client or a friend’s text.

In the heat of that accident and the rush to make the meeting, I didn’t realize that the phone in my hand is the new one I bought with a new SIM and this new number is not on my card. I must have left the other phone on my table when I dashed out this afternoon. I hurriedly changed and drove to the office, on my way I tried calling my secretary severally but her line was not connecting. When I got to my office I saw her text and several missed calls from that line. As I was trying to call her back another text of hers came in

Felix, I came back to pick you but I was told the meeting was over. I called many times but you were not picking. I hope your meeting went as planned. Try fixing your car and get some rest. Sue.”

I stood there transfixed, undecided; should I call her and get her address or go ahead to the Zest where my colleagues and I will be celebrating?

Powered by CredoWorld Media



FOREVER AND A DAY

(3)

CredoFiction- Wakdok, Samuel Stephen.



I have always stood by my principles of not mixing business with pleasure and since the outing at the Zest is a continuation of our business victory, I owe my colleagues the duty of been there. Calling Suzanna will tempt me to want to meet her tonight and I wouldn’t want to risk standing up my colleagues.

When I got to the Zest, the enthusiasm of my partners was high, I was glad I didn’t keep them waiting any longer. We had drinks, ate enough meat and talked about our fortune and the fame that will come with it. We agreed that this is just the beginning and we must put more efforts to surpass our client’s expectation as that will open more doors for us all. Thankfully today is Friday and as such we can all rest tomorrow being Saturday. I needed the rest more than any one can imagine.

It was a long night for me, I tried severally but Sue’s line was switched off. I wanted to thank her on voice call apart from the text I sent when I was at the Zest. I was so exasperated that I should have slept like a log but this night sleep was not forthcoming. I couldn’t imagine how beautiful and sweet she was, I was grateful for her saving grace but most of it my heart began to travel and I want to meet her tomorrow, no tonight, no; right now. I wish she was here with me. I want to stare into those eyes and listen again to that voice. All the money I will make will not make any sense, not any more. I have suddenly found out that my fantasy has a face, my passion has a name, and my dream is real.

I struggled to sleep that night and since I was so fagged out, sleep came at about 3 am and I did not know when it was day break. I dragged myself to the bathroom and had a cold bath to clear off the fatigue. I could hear the beep of my cell phone and I was happy when her text came in. She turned in early for the night and she usually switches her phone. I called her and thanked her for the previous day’s kindness. She agreed to see me later in the day and I was so excited, I could only hold myself from screaming on the phone and wait for the time. Since my car was now in order, I offered to pick her but she declined and we agreed on meeting at La Ayisha, a cool spot not far from where we met the previous day. If she was beautiful yesterday, she is stunningly beautiful today. If she was sexy yesterday she is unethically tempting today. She smelled so sweet I felt like devouring her. I stood mesmerized at the sight of such a beauty that I did not even open my mouth to greet her.

“Felix, it is good to see you again. How are you today?”

I was jolted back to life when I heard my name.

We talked about a lot of things and by the end of that lunch, it was obvious that a friendship has been struck, but deep in my heart I knew that a day alone with this exquisite lady will not calm my nerves. I have always prided myself as a guy with self control, ladies do not accelerate my heart beat.I know that I am goodlooking, full of brains and sweet words and always in charge when it comes to matters of the heart; but here I am staring at my heart slipping away and should I be glad to let it go?



Powered by CredoWorld Media



FOREVER AND A DAY

(4)



CredoFiction- Wakdok, Samuel Stephen.



“Felix, you know it has been wonderful knowing you. I just do not go about throwing my self at men. With you it was different, the first day I saw you I couldn’t pretend to myself, it was obvious I liked you and I showed it.”

“But I can not jump into another relationship now,I have not healed from the past relationship. Tony is a nice man, he did not break my heart;though I was hurt by his decision, I perfectly understand his reason.”

I have spoken all the words I can,yet she remained adamant. She is not ready to dare more than been friends. How can I tell what Tony did to her unless she tells me?

“Darling you know I love you, but I am sorry this thing can not work.It is not your fault and neither is it mine. The only blame I take is not bringing this up earlier, and that was because I was so consumed by our love and your sweetness that I did not think anything could come between us but sweet heart this is beyond us and you know it”

“Tony, where do you want me to start from? How do you want me to go on living , I love you and with you all that I am is in your heart.”

“Suzanna, yes I know all these;I love you and that is why I am asking you to let go. All that is not love ,that does not begin with love and end with love.”

“Tony is it my fault that both of us are carriers?”

“I didn’t say it was yours and I will be devastated too, but I know so much than to let us get into this. The future is longer than today, I want to save us all the problems that may arise which you know will not be in our control.”

“You have always confessed your love for me, remember how difficult it was for me to accept your overtures because I hate risking my heart. Eventually when you persisted and I saw how serious you were , I gave in and ever since I have loved you like I do to my soul.”

“It is because I love you that I am risking my life’s happiness to give us an opportunity to live happily. Loving you today will be useless if we can not remain in love forever.”

“What will stop us from loving always? If we love and love the way we do now, we can always stand what ever comes our way.Please Tony do not do this to me.”

I could see the mist in her eyes, I wanted to tell her to stop but I needed to know what she had suffered and why she is not forthcoming in opening her heart to another man.

“Suzanna, it takes a man that really loves you to give you up. If I am selfsih now, we all will suffer later. You, the kids and I.Take this as a sacrifice and evidence of my love. You will be hurt but that is because you are naïve now .”



FOREVER AND A DAY

(5)



CredoFiction- Wakdok, Samuel Stephen.



“I loved him, I felt like dying but life has to gone on. I withdrew into my shell. My dad was the Defense Attache to Mexico, I resigned my job at MTN and went to Mexico for a while to get over Tony. There I read and learnt more about Tony’s fear.

Hitherto, I took it for granted. Apart from treating it in a topic in senior school biology I didn’t bother much about sickle cell anemia. I went back to dig some books about this subject that has caused me the greatest pain of my life. I was born into an aristocratic home, I am beautiful and they also said I have a stunning figure; men hardly give me a break even when Tony was all over me.

Sickle cell anemia is a genetic life-long blood disorder which is occurs mostly in the tropics where malaria is common. It is characterized by the red blood cells assuming an abnormal rigid sickle shape. Tissues that do not have a normal blood flow become damaged. Sickle cell anemia is inherited. If one parent has Sickle Cell Anemia (AS) and the other is Normal (AA), all of the children will have sickle cell trait.

If one parent has Sickle Cell Anemia (SS) and the other has Sickle Cell Trait (AS), there is a 50% chance (or 1 out of 2) of having a baby with either sickle cell disease or sickle cell trait with each pregnancy.

When both parents have Sickle Cell Trait, they have a 25% chance (1 of 4) of having a baby with sickle cell disease with each pregnancy.

“Tony and I happened to have the traits meaning we both are AS and that was the waterloo of our love relationship. Because I didn’t bother to know my genotype earlier, we never talked about it until almost three years into our relationship when Tony brought it up. He had a friend whose kids were suffering from the disease and the parents watched helpless as two of their children died. They made frantic efforts to save the kids through blood transfusion and other means, but there is no universal cure for sickle cell anemia.”

As she spoke I was astonished. I do not even know my own genotype. I have never cared all I know is that my blood group is A+.

My world stopped for a moment as I try to think what next to do. Rush to have a test of course; but my fear grew. After her experience with Tony and what she now knows about the disease, she swore that she is so grateful to Tony for saving her and their unborn kids from the risk of sickle cell and she will not even go into any relationship if the man has the trait or where he is ignorant of his genotype.



I was under so much pressure that I could not imagine what the result of my test will be. If I was a carrier like her will I live a normal life again without this lady full of life and sweetness? She is sexy, voluptuous, and dangerously beautiful. Exactly as I have always wished my lady to be and now I am loosing her to one senseless biological trait the way she lost Tony? We both waited in silence as the laboratory technologist walked out with my result, my eyes closed themselves and all the laughter in this world seem to evaporate right before me.



Epilogue



Suzanna and Felix have never stopped talking about the way they met and how they narrowly missed falling in love because of sickle cell anemia. Interestingly they both concur that it was so helpful they found out about their genotype before getting committed and thank heavens Felix’s genotype happened to be AA after the test results came out. They did two more tests to be very sure and Suzanna has never been this happy. She lost Tony but was glad she met Felix. Their wedding bells are already ringing and they have set up an NGO to educate people about the importance of knowing their Genotype and the help they will be doing themselves and their would- be children if they took informed decisions of not marrying themselves if they suffer or carry the traits. They are also opening access to therapies that will limit the pains and sufferings of those suffering from it.

Love is beautiful but sickle cell anemia in children may shatter that love when we marry blindly.

“I love you Felix and I will never let go of you my King.”

“Sue, you are my Pearl, my heart beat and my all; I am dangerously in love with you my Queen”

She is exquisitely beautiful and I am grateful to have her, to live with her for a day is to live forever.





Dedication:



To Jordan and all the products of love whose parents were ignorant of their Genotype status or the love was so strong when they found to let go.

AA + AA= AA,AA, AA,AA=Excellent

AA+AS=AA,AA,AA,AS= Good

AS+AS= AA,AS,AS,SS= Not Good

Note- The probability is the chances of occurrence in every pregnancy and not in the total number of children.

AS+SS= No

SS+SS= Not at all





Powered by CredoWorld Media

www.credoworldmedia.wordpress.com www.credoworld.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment